Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Summer: tales of chlorine, swimming, music, and weights

Life's hectic.

Two amazing proms, a sick Nerf gun (will post later!), and a graduation later, I'm glad to be in the rhythm of summer. Not as much to do, but I like to keep myself busy.
I've recently joined a gym and have been going with a friend pretty often. Working out for the first time in a while feels great, and I'm glad I got this membership.

I've been working a LOT, which is good because my job always seems to jip me on hours. I teach four classes in a row, four days a week. In addition I've started teaching private swim lessons in the area again.
My job is pretty awesome. I started lifeguarding in the summer of 2007, and started teaching swimming shortly after that. Since then, I've loved my job, hated it, and everything in between. Right now I absolutely love it, since I don't even lifeguard, just teach lessons straight through.

My students lately have been young, from 4 to 7 years old. Though I like teaching older students and the more advanced ones, (Deep end swimming, swim team training, diving, woohoo!) I have been enjoying teaching my younger students, too.

Most first-time swimmers have this gripping fear of the water. I'll pick them up and they will cling on to me for dear life rather than let go and let the water pick them up.

Eesh.

I have to slowly work the ways of the water into their system, which sometimes involves scaring them into tears for a second, but ultimately ensues in the empowering sense of "Oh shit, I can do this! :D".

Just this session, I have had a girl who's never swam in her life. 7 years old I'm guessing.

Ill call her Kimberly for privacy's sake. Because I like the name Kimberly.

Kim was scared of the water. With a noodle around her for support, I'd hold her hands and her death grips would turn mine blue. I told her to kick her feet, and she embarrassingly moved little water. I told her to SPLASH and she moved a bit more water. Within a few days, she could support her body by kicking, and she eased up considerably with her hands. Then I taught her how to paddle in order to support her torso, and she eventually (frighteningly) swam herself around with the noodle for support. Through games of sharks and minnows with the other little kids, she fortified her strength and grew more confident. She then saw some other kids swimming without a noodle, and she asked why she couldn't do the same.

I told her nothing was stopping her from trying, so she removed the noodle and by God she swam by herself.

5 days with her, and she can swim by herself.
Damn I'm good.

Some other first time swimmers, though (usually the ones exposed to water VERY early in their life) are fearless to a fault. These little swimmers will run and gun into the deep end (Mind you, they do not know how to swim on their own) and make you dive in after them. They come out happy, all smiles, as if their swimming prowess really saved them from a chlorine-y depth (pun).

Le sigh.

Music!

I've picked up guitar again, and though I won't be recording much until I get my new laptop, I've been playing and practicing and recovering some of the skill I've lost due to time. I will be jamming with some friends and probably starting a band soon.

Ever since I got a car, I haven't been listening to my iPod as much, and more CDs (higher quality than the FM tuner ipod thing), so any new music I've gotten I haven't been able to give a good listen.

So, now that I have free time, I've been checking out some new music that's come out, is coming soon or that I've discovered!

-D

The Listening List: (I'll probably add one of these after every blog of mine now)
As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise (purchased)
Whitechapel-A New Era of Curruption
Architects-Hollow Crown
Architects-Ruin
Veil of Maya-[Id]
Parkway Drive-Deep Blue (coming soon!)
Paul Anka-Smells like Teen Spirit (They played this during my girlfriend's prom and it was AWESOME!)
As Blood Runs Black- New Album Previews (Here and Here)

No comments:

Post a Comment